Linden Font

Saturday 29 December 2012

Corn salsa, cabbage and ham quesadillas


So, my quest to eat a little healthier has lasted one meal. These quesadillas are not too bad. Loads of vegies, very little oil and a little ham. I very rarely buy low fat food outside of milk - I'd prefer to eat less of the real stuff - but on this occasion low fat tortillas were on the menu. They weren't too bad, but I do honestly prefer the real thing.


I have been known to eat entire bowls full of this corn salsa. It's so simple and goes a little too well with corn chips. Salsa, chips, beer and I'm a happy woman. Too often and I'm a morbidly obese, happy woman but happy nonetheless.


The coconut chilli sauce in this is a corker. It's not super hot but is incredibly moreish. I bought it online at Fireworks Foods, where I get my tortillas - they're so good. It's made in the Hinterland from jalapeno chillies, coconut, curry and fish sauce. Whenever Matty and I make tacos for dinner (which is more often than I'd like to admit) this is the sauce I grab.


Mexican mothers across the world will weep at this recipe for quesadillas. Ham? Low fat tortillas? You must be yanking my chain! Meh. I'm not bothered - they're delicious.

Ingredients

Quarter red cabbage
2 spring onions, trimmed
1 clove of garlic
1/4 bunch coriander leaves
1 lime
1 birds eye chilli
4 slices of ham
4 tortillas
Coconut chilli sauce

Sweet corn salsa

4 cobs of corn
1 clove garlic
1 birds eye chilli
1 lime
1/3 bunch coriander leaves
Olive oil

To make the corn salsa, fire up the barbecue and place the cobs of corn on. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. They'll need turning every five minutes or so.


Finely chop the garlic and chillies and place in a bowl. Chop the coriander leaves roughly and add to the bowl.

Meanwhile, for the cabbage salad slice the cabbage and spring onion in the food processor and throw in a salad bowl. Add some chopped garlic and chilli. Chop some coriander leaves and add to the bowl. Squeeze over the lime and season.


Once they are nicely charred, chop the kernels off the corn and add to the garlic, chilli and coriander. Squeeze over the lime.

To assemble the quesadilla, take one tortilla and spread half with the chilli sauce (a thin layer). Place a slice of ham over the sauce, then top with corn salsa and cabbage salad. Throw on the barbecue (well, place very carefully). They cook very quickly so don't walk away. Turn once they're a little charred and cook the other side.

Once they're cooked, enjoy with a light summer-style beer. Or water if you're in regretful-post-Christmas mode like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment