Linden Font

Thursday 7 March 2013

Passionfruit yoyos

Passionfruit yoyos

This biscuit bonanza has taught me one thing: biscuits are probably the quickest treat to whip up on a work night. Seriously, none of the recipes have been longer than a couple of lines, and they all generally start with "cream the butter and sugar...". All of these recipes have been prepared and popped into the oven within 15 minutes. The 10-15 minutes they take to cook has been spent cleaning the (minimal) mess. Biscuits are officially the lazy man's dessert.

We've had a little deal at work recently. Everyone is giving up one thing for the month and any loss of willpower results in a forced donation to a team fund. I've already slipped up twice (pastries on the weekend and an icecream tonight. You'd be eating icecream too if you rode home in 33 degree heat). Part of my deal was that I'd give up all sweets: icecream, cakes, chocolate, lollies and biscuits, but I could still sample one biscuit if I'd cooked it for my blog. I could hardly put up a recipe that hadn't been thoroughly tested. See how selfless I am? Taking one for my virtual team.


So I "tested" these ones and I have to say, they're just as good as I remembered. Biscuits light and crumbly and icing sweet and bitey. My mum had the magic touch with yoyos: they'd be so crumbly they'd only just hold their shape, but were sweet and light and oh so amazing. She now claims she can't cook, but her date loaf on the weekend tells another story entirely.

My only trick with this recipe is to keep your handling of the dough (once the flour has been incorporated) to an absolute minimum. That's what makes it so crumbly and light - nothing worse than a leathery yoyo. The icing is easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just don't get lazy and forget to sieve the icing sugar because you'll be left with a lumpy mess. And just when you think you've added enough passionfruit, cut open another. You may have noticed I have a little passionfruit addiction, so my liberal use of the fruit surely comes as no surprise.

So get cooking. There's no excuse - they only take 15 minutes. And haven't you heard? Biscuit calories are free calories this month!

Passionfruit yoyos

Adapted from Food.com

Ingredients

200g butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 cup custard powder

1 cup icing sugar, sieved
3 tbsp butter
4 passionfruit

Passionfruit yoyos

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Prepare a baking sheet with baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla until light and fluffy. Sieve the flour and custard powder and stir to combine.

Passionfruit yoyos

Roll the mix into balls and place approximately 3cm apart on the baking paper. Press lightly with a fork.

Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet.

To make the icing, combine the butter, icing sugar and passionfruit in a mixer. Mix on low for 2 minutes. Sandwich the icing between two biscuits.

Passionfruit yoyos

2 comments:

  1. I've got a challenge for you, lovely lady! I too have a little passionfruit addiction and have made a feeble attempt at creating my very own passionfruit-on-passionfruit slice. The idea was to make it like a jelly slice, with biscuit base, cream filling and jelly topping. Instead of using lemon juice in the filling, use passionfruit pulp and use passionfruit jelly on top. Unfortunately my attempt just wasn't passionfruit-y enough (and my base was all wrong - just fell apart).
    So, are you up for the challenge of making this baby work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've taken that challenge and (I believe) hit a home run. Recipe tomorrow, Hils!

      Delete