Linden Font

Thursday 16 May 2013

Beetroot dip

Beetroot dip

I'm that girl at every party that manages to spill a drink and break a glass. I once knocked over my glass of red wine and spilled it down the back of a woman wearing white cashmere. She was not amused.

I'm a klutz from way back. I fall over, spill crumbs down my top (sexy, I know) and managed to walk out of the house with toothpaste all over me every day without fail. 15 minutes before an important meeting with a director at work the other day, I sprayed soup all over my top.

Which is why this dip is my version of tempting fate. It's a deep pink in colour and liable to stain our carpets if I just look at it funny.


I managed, on this occasion, to avoid all stainage around the house. We ate at the table with napkins tucked into our shirts like a lobster was about to be served. The only signs of a beetroot in the vicinity were the little pink rims under my fingernails. Lesson learned: peel the beetroot with gloves on.

Beetroot dip

So this is a "use the whole beast" kinda approach to beetroot. We've made beetroot chips using the leaves and now we're having a bash at a dip. It really couldn't be simpler. I popped in some fennel seeds because I think the aniseedy taste really complements the beetroot well.

We used the leaves as a nice dipper for the beetroot. But to be honest, I actually thought the kale chips were more suitable as they're a little more sturdy and take a good amount of dip (I may or may not be a dip hog).

So, my sweets, enjoy this one. Just don't think you can send me your drycleaning bills. I ain't paying.

Ingredients

1 cup small beetroots
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 cup water

Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC. Trim the leaves from the beetroot and roast for around 1 hour or until soft. Peel the beetroot and place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Season well and blend until smooth.

Beetroot dip

No comments:

Post a Comment